Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pesky Pigmentation

The beauty and cosmetics industry has been all a-flutter in recent times following the results from numerous studies that show pigmentation plays a huge role in our perception of age. After years of developing lotions, potions and treatments designed to combat lines and wrinkles (originally perceived the be the factor responsible for ageing us in terms of appearance), things were turned on their head when researchers discovered that is also the appearance of uneven tone and dark spots on our complexion that is closely linked with others perception of our youth (or lack of!).

After reading this, it's amazing how hyper-aware I have become of my own developing pigmentation, which is largely concentrated on the tops of my cheek bones, right up near my eyes and also on my chin. The most common causes of pigmentation or dark spots are sun damage, hormonal changes (hello pregnancy and the pill!) and post-inflammatory scarring from things like acne or breakout. So what's a girl to do?!

First and foremost, prevention is always better than cure. Use a quality SPF, i.e. one that protects from UVA and UVB rays, daily to keep UV damage at bay. I'm currently loving Hissy Fit 'Saving Face' in Sand rrp $39.95. Not only can I pat myself on the back for being so proactive about my skin, but I love the scent so it's a pleasure to use.

For pigmentation that has already surfaced, you will need to treat it with product specifically designed to sort out such issues. I'm loving Priori Coffeeberry Brightening Complex rrp $160 which addresses sun damage and pigmentation and also includes the potent Coffeeberry antioxidant to fight free radicals and prevent further damage from occuring - double duty at it's best.



Regular professional peels will also help in the treatment of pigmentation and promote a luminous, glowy complexion. Look for peels based on AHA lactic acid, as they will not only brighten skin, but induce a rush of hyaluronic acid, the bodies own skin moisturiser. The result? Skin that is bright, glowing, plump and smooth - skin beauty at it's best.

No comments:

Post a Comment